Friday, May 1, 2009

The New Gorget Revisited

Well, I got to try my new gorget out at Blackstone Raids. I really like the design and it was protective. It definitely gives more protection than a leather dog collar style gorget. Yet, it was not perfect. I really never realized what kind of abuse I put myself through when I take the field. Up until I met Oona I really only wore the minimum armor required and only took minor injuries and lots of bruises. So, where is this leading? It is leading to the fact that 22 gauge copper is not going to be rigid enough for a gorget for SCA Heavy combat.

The gorget was working great and I was loving it. It is light, fits me perfectly and it passed inspection. Then I get knocked over a hay bail backwards with my legs trapped. This leads to me landing on my back but, I landed on my head first. This caused my helm to crash into my gorget with great force. One of the laims on the lobster tail was creased by the bottom of my helm. My face grill hit the front of the gorget and caused it to bend up a little. I never even realized that the helm came into contact with my body other than the ringing in my head. I found the damage after going to resurrection and heading back into the line a few more times. Then during the break between battles I took my helm and gorget off and found the damage. The crease in the lobster tail is a perfect match for the back edge of my helm.

I learned that even though it creased it was very protective. I would hate to think what might have happened if the lobster tail from the gorget had not been there. Maybe a nice crease in a vertebra. I learned that even though hammered 22 gauge feels rigid enough to normal pressure and force, it is not rigid enough for SCA Heavy combat. Now where do I go from here? I have 14 gauge copper in the garage but that might be a little over kill and an increase in weight. I could buy 18 gauge and give that a try. Or, I could continue to fight in the one I have and see if it holds up over time.

I believe that if I had been wearing the old aluminum on that I would have been injured because it does not have the lobster tail down the back. So, in that regard it was more protective. The design is good the materials are OK but need improving.

Now it is time to start the gorget mark II. I guess I will use the 14 gauge copper I have on hand.

No comments: