Friday, February 23, 2007

Chainmail

Well, since this is my first post on craft projects I decided to start with chainmail.

Chainmail is easy to create and something that can be done in front of the TV. If I already have the rings cut, I can link together a box braid chain in an hour or so.

The first thing you need for chainmail is the rings. I figured it would be cheaper to make my own rings. It was also easier than trying to find rings in the size I wanted.

I made a simple spindle from some 2x4 scraps and a steel rod. You can see the picture and get an idea of how to make it. You do need to drill a whole in the rod to insert the end of the wire you are using to make the chain mail. Very simple and low tech.



You coil the wire around the spindle and make a spring. Then you get out the snips and cut the spring into individual rings. This cutting can be time consuming. Some people use a saw to cut the rings which makes a cleaner edge but I prefer to use snips.

This picture above shows the rings cut from a couple coils.





Now all I need to do is make some chains from the rings I have created. And here are two of the first chains I made.
















No comments: